Some Bicycle Safety Videos and PSA's on the Web
Summary: Here are the bike safety videos and PSA's on the Web that you can download. If you find others, please email us. The newest are on YouTube, but some of them are terrible. We have another page with classroom quality DVDs, some that we can send you free.
Our Current Favorite
- Bike Helmets 101: A Basic Users Guide to Brain Safety
The only helmet safety video we have ever seen that is fun to watch. It was done by three Manitoba organizations, and features fast cuttings, quirky humor and good information in three minutes. It seems suitable for a wide range of age groups. Short, so it is best used to get a discussion going on specifics of helmet and bike safety. You can access it on the Province of Manitoba site. We can also send you a copy with our other DVDs (see below). We also have a Study Guide to help get a classroom discussion going. This one is specifically limited to non-profit use by schools and community groups. Note: If the video stops in Windows Media Player at the opening menu screen, just hit Enter to play it.
- DOT's Bicycle Safer Journey: a 2014 upgrade of videos, curricula, lesson plans, quizzes, and just about everything you need for classroom instruction of basic bicycle safety, including helmets. Spanish materials included. Links to other sites for more curricula. Not a helmet-specific site, but by far the best thing DOT has ever produced. We can send you the videos on disk if downloading from YouTube doesn't work for you.
- Four older videos online from DOT. (We can also send them to you on DVD.)
- Ride Smart - It's Time to Start
One of the best free videos anybody has produced for "tweens" from about 8 to 12. Preaching, but all done by kids. Damaged helmets, jello and egg smashes, good fitting instructions and brief rules of the road. Eight minutes if you ignore the end credits. Online as a WMV file.
- Bike Safe - Bike Smart. This one covers bicycle safety. Hosted by Celine Yeager. Covers bike types, helmet and fit, lights, bright clothing, bike check, regulations, extensive rules of the road and riding techniques including night riding tips. Reviews rules at the end. All kids, diverse cast. Online as a WMV file. Seven minutes.
- Bicycle Safety Tips for Adults
Covers choosing the right bike, safety equipment, pre-ride safety checks and rules of the road. Eight minutes. Online as a WMV file.
- Fitting a Bike Helmet. Has a crash scene, some brief bad advice on old standards, and good step by step instructions on fit. Four minutes.
Online as a WMV file.
- Ajuste del casco de bicicleta.
The bike fitting video above in Spanish.
Email us if you need the DOT videos on DVD. The Web versions are low resolution.
- Helmet Fitting Cartoon One of the few videos in cartoon format, with helmet advice and fitting instructions. Probably good for six to eight year olds. Well done, by the Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh.
- Flipping Physics: How to Wear a Helmet is a unique explanation of helmet impact physics using formulae and cool crashes. The message: strap your helmet on.
- The League of American Bicyclists has a series of short videos on various topics. We were not that impressed with the helmet fitting video.
- CPSC Video Clip
The Consumer Product Safety Commission has done a video clip of their helmet lab testing. We have info on the video clip.
- The Brain Injury Association of Minnesota has a full-blown video PSA in .mpg file format called "Bully." It's a big file (9 megs). A bully rides alongside a kid, harassing him about his sissy helmet. The bully is not paying attention to where he is going, and he suddenly collides with a board sticking out the back of a truck parked in a driveway. It is quite a shock, and most viewers will not realize that the bully got hit mostly in the face with the board, and a normal bike helmet would not have protected his face anyway.
- The Connecticut Children's Medical Center has this PSA from Super Safe Comics. If you need a copy for local use, please contact Kevin Borrup, Senior Program Manager, Injury Prevention Center, Connecticut Children's Medical Center at Kborrup@ccmckids.org
- The Bike Month site has a number of PSAs about Bike Month and safe cycling.
- NHTSA: Bicycle Helmet Fit available on YouTube. A lighter treatment of how to fit a helmet, intended for kids.
- NHTSA: Chug Bike Safety Video a large download from the DOT site. Animated train engines talk about bike safety and direct kids to a Disney site. One of the best pieces of advice: "Make sure an adult is watching you." Nice graphics, but needs a better script.
YouTube has lots of videos, and you can start with this search on bike helmet. New ones appear every day, and we don't keep up with them. Here are a few of them:
Note: YouTube videos are all over the map. We have seen at least one "how to" helmet fit video where the host's helmet has a very loose strap, so you have to watch carefully. In that one, all the helmets are from the same manufacturer, too.
And more from other sources:
More on StreetFilms
StreetFilms has short films about bicycling and pedestrian issues. We did not find any helmet videos when we looked, but there were lots of others.
Let us know if you find anything really good!
This page was last revised on: September 19, 2014.